Tuesday, July 1, 2008

One day until departure

I can't believe it is finally here. It seems like yesterday that I went to the Beijing informational meeting which was really back in the fall. I don't think it will truly hit me that I am going to China until I am already there. Right now I am in Chicago and have been walking everywhere in search of last minute items. I bought Lonely Planet's Beijing City Guide and read it cover-to-cover yesterday at this tea cafe called Argo Tea. {The tea is really really good (white tea acai squeeze = yummy) and I wish we had one in Columbia!} I have so many places dogeared in the city guide that I want to go... the only problem will be finding my way there. The street names on the map sound and look very confusing: Jianguomennei Dajie... really??! 

I plan to go to the Forbidden City and the Summer Palace but am most excited about the Temple of Heaven which was built during the Ming Dynasty and is the biggest of the three at 2,700,000 square meters! I know my parents won't be happy about this (sorry M and B) but Beijing has really taken to fashion over the past ten years and since the dollar is strong in China, I am definitely going to do some shopping! 

I also read in the city guide that the Chinese do not normally eat a lot of dessert. Luckily Chicago has the Hershy's Chocolate factory right on Michigan Avenue so I am going to get my last filling of ice cream for two months! I am a little nervous about the food in China. Since I am a vegetarian I am hoping that I will pronounce the phrase "Wo chi su" (I am vegetarian) correctly.

Next time I write I will be off the 14 hour flight I will take to Beijing tomorrow! See you in China!! 

XOXO,
P


1 comment:

Unknown said...

P: thanks for the update. you are so lucky to be in such an amazing place, at such an extraordinary time. keep the blog coming. your mom and siblings are in Tahoe. I'm home and working. iChat anytime at night. Love you.