Sunday, July 27, 2008

Recently in Beijing ...

I can't believe how long it has been since I have written! I have been extremely busy the past six days doing my training at the National Indoor Stadium (see image). I have grown to actually enjoy my polyester pants and nylon shirt that is definitely NOT suitable for Beijing's heat and humidity. My favorite part is the fanny pack. The bucket hat that came with the outfit is just too much for me to handle, but many of the Chinese volunteers in my group wear it every day. It's pretty hilarious.

My schedule has pretty much been the same the past few days: wake up around 7AM, get to the National Indoor Stadium by 9AM and train until around 5PM. We aren't allowed to discuss on our blogs what we do during our training, but I wouldn't bore you with it anyway. It has been a lot of lectures and basic information so far. My favorite part has been getting to know the Chinese volunteers in my group. The first day I arrived they were all so curious to "finally meet" me after "staring" at my picture. They started taking pictures of me when I arrived and I have been told multiple times that I look just like Britney Spears ... I think they would say this to any American with blond hair.

The other day, after a long day of training, Sarah Orscheln (my roommate), Sarah French and Justin O'Neil went out to an Italian restaurant I found on Trip Advisor. It's called La Dolce Vita and it may just have been the best pasta I have ever had. It was definitely the best meal I have had in Beijing. The owner, Piero Colucci, came and greeted our table when we arrived. I asked him what he recommended for me, being a vegetarian, and he said, "I have the perfect thing. Do you like broccoli?" After telling him that I loved broccoli he told me he would take care of me. I had orecchiette with broccoli cream. The orecchiette was homemade and it was done to a perfect al dente, something I really appreciated after having overcooked noodles in many of the other Italian eateries in Beijing. The restaurant was not crowded, Piero said it has been slow the past couple weeks, but everyone who entered the restaurant was Italian. We started talking to these two guys from Italy who also knew Spanish. I started speaking in Spanish to them and it made me so happy to communicate with foreigners. It made me really wish I knew Chinese because it would make my life here in Beijing a whole lot easier. After dinner and a couple bottles of wine, we were having trouble deciding on dessert. Piero suggested a platter (which we think was on the house, but the receipt was in Chinese so we really didn't know) that was pretty much amazing. I couldn't help but take a picture!

Yesterday was a "rest" day as they call it here. The pollution has been horrible the past few days. My eyes burn when I walk outside and it is so hot that I don't even bother with a morning shower. Here is an image outside of the Olympic Green around 5PM, just to give you an idea of how bad the pollution really is. With the Olympic just a week away, I really hope China does something to clear the air.

The other night Bob, my stepdad, sent a link to a contest to be a guest Red Carpet Reporter for People.com. One of my friends has a video camera here and I decided to give it a shot and make an audition tape! It was really fun but I wish I had more time to make it better (the video was due the next day). If I make the top 10, it turns into a public vote to find the winner so I will keep my public updated :) Check it out at
Or search "VoJo Awards" on YouTube.

Tonight some of the boys are playing basketball versus some of the University of Iowa boys. We are going to cheer them on and then go out for some pizza ... so American. Don't worry though, I am getting very cultured here by both the people and the food. I think this trip may actually be an experience that changes me as a person.

XOXO,
P

No comments: