Monday, July 21, 2008

Lakes, Acrobats and BlaBlaBla...




Two nights ago a bunch of us went to a Mexican restaurant called "La Bamba." This was our second time there and it has pretty decent Mexican food with the closest thing to real cheese that I have been able to find. Afterward we went to Hou Hai Lake, which is pretty touristy but fun nonetheless. My friend Adam is here studying Chinese so we met up with his friends. I was really jealous because they were all speaking Chinese. They sounded fluent to me, even though they have only been here for a month. Adam taught me a few new phrases which I quickly forgot or thought I remembered but only received puzzled looks when I attempted using them on the locals.

Starting tomorrow I will be training everyday until the Olympics begin. Because of that, the last two days have been pretty relaxing. I really do feel like I live in Beijing and no longer feel obligated to go exploring the Top 10 sites in my Lonely Planet travel guide. Actually, I have seen all 10. I would, however, like to venture to the outskirts of Beijing, maybe even as far as Shanghai. Unfortunately, I don't know if my training schedule will allow me to do so.

Last night about half of us went to the Beijing Flying Acrobat Show. I have seen Cirque de Soleil and I can honestly say that this show was comparable. It was amazing!
This is a picture of Sarah Orschelen (my roommate), Sarah French and me before the show. I am going to try and upload a video I took in secret since no photos were allowed inside the theater. It was truly amazing: Chinese acrobats on bicycles riding around the stage, jumping from one person's back to the next. At one point, 12 women were on one small bike supported by one little Chinese woman.
It was incredible!

After the show we went to the BlaBla Bar. It is a really laid-back bar. We sat outside and played card games for a few hours before heading back to Renmin to go to bed. I have become so close to the people on this trip with me, it's been great. We all get along so well and because of the amount of time we spend together, I feel like I know everyone pretty well.

Tomorrow it will be exactly three weeks since I landed in Beijing. It has gone by so fast but the most exciting part is yet to come: The Olympics!

XOXOXO,
P

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for the update p. keep those travelogs and pix coming. we miss you but are very excited for you.