Thursday, July 3, 2008

Finally here!





Thursday, July 3 - 5:35AM
So after a long 13 hour flight, I am finally here. I met with everyone in the group at the airport yesterday and we boarded our flight all in shock that we would be in China in just a few hours. It is so surreal to actually be here!! 
We landed around 3PM and outside it was gray (supposedly from a combination of clouds and pollution but I am thinking it was mostly pollution, this morning there is no sun at all). The airport was amazing! It is only a month old and it is the cleanest/most modern airport I have ever seen. (In the top right picture is Lauren, Meggie, Amy and me right off the plane.) There was also a Starbucks right outside of the baggage claim! 
The 50 of us boarded two buses and took an hour-long ride into central Beijing where our dorm/hotel is located. Renmin University welcomed us with huge smiles and helped us unload our massive amounts of luggage inside. 
On the way in we passed the "Bird's Nest" (see the top right picture). It was amazing to see it in real life after seeing it so many times in pictures and on television. Just on the way from the airport to the hotel I took 50 pictures! A lot of them I will delete but I was just so excited by everything I saw. It seemed like everyone was on a bike and everyone had someone sitting on a little seat on the back of their bike! 
For dinner we walked around campus and went to a local dining hall. On the way we probably passed 100 students running on the outside track, another 50 playing basketball and several more just walking around - it seems like a very lively campus. We were being led by a big blue and green sign that said "University of Missouri" so I am sure we blended right in ... :) 
We have a busy day today but I need to go buy towels and other necessities that weren't provided for us here. I am also definitely finding the Starbucks this morning since last night I could only manage to eat a little rice after hardly sleeping on the pain and feeling very out of sorts for the remainder of the evening! 
Talk to you soon!
XOXOX,
P

No comments: