Thursday, July 10, 2008

Temple or Massage?

Sorry I haven't written in a while! I have been so busy having a lot of fun! Today was a great, relaxing day! Last night we went to this bar that was filled with mostly foreigners, Americans, British and Australians mostly. The bar was called Propaganda and reminded me of the basement of a frat house. It was funny because there were two TVs behind the bar: one playing Korean golf and the other playing Cheaper By the Dozen 2. Today we were all a little tired and ready for some good food when we woke up. I found this place called Vineyard Cafe in my travel book that is owned by a British guy. We got dropped off in the wrong place but were desperate to find this restaurant. After a series of pointing conversations we turned the corner to the cafe. I have never been happier! We walked in and were all immediately relieved to see other westerners enjoying pizzas, salads, sandwiches and the like! I had a great veggie pizza and even a salad ... I haven't gotten sick, yet :)

After lunch, our plan was to go to the Lama Temple which is just down the street. However, I also read about this spa place called Bodhi that offered $14 massages for an hour if you come in before 5pm. We decided since we will be touring China the next three days and then starting our Olympic training on Monday that we should get massages. I was quite content with our decision. We took a cab to Bodhi and were pleasantly surprised by the peaceful setting. Amy, Meggie and I were in a room together and had one of the best massages I've ever had! It was more painful than ones at home but much more fulfilling by the end. I feel like I got a workout! Also, I have never been more glad about the language barrier. The dead silence was peaceful, especially since we are normally surrounded by hundreds of people speaking Chinese gibberish.

One of the highlights of the week was seeing Kung Fu Panda in China! We went to a movie theater, ate at Pizza Hut and I got Dairy Queen for the first time in my life! It was a very Westernized day. The movie was iMax and was in English. We decided to go to a movie because it was pouring rain outside. It wasn't cold, just extremely rainy! We got out of class around noon and I didn't have an umbrella. My friend Alex was nice enough to stash my bag with my computer in his backpack while I bolted back. I was soaked and so was everyone else. A movie was just the right thing for the day.

Yesterday we went to Behai Lake where we rented a boat for 60 Yuan (less than $10) for an hour and rode around the lake. The red and gold buildings were beautiful and we were just about the only tourists there so it was really cool to see the
Tomorrow we are touring Beijing suburbs and a water purification plant ... don't ask me why, but apparently it should be interesting. On Saturday we are going to the Great Wall and I cannot wait!!

XOXO,
P

No comments: